Monday, March 30, 2009

Every kid's dream...

The only difference is this kid is 24. Today I had the honor of meeting one of our (the three of us loved baseball growing up, so I'll include Matthew and Chad) heroes growing up. Now he wasn't a Mark McGuire, even though he roomed with him in 87. He definitely wasn't Jose Conseco, don't know if I would want to meet him, but I remember growing up and Chad more than myself, liking the Oakland Athletics. They were the team to beat in the late 80s. I met the 1988 All-Star game MVP, also winner of the World Series in 1989. For those of you that do not remember that was the "Bay Series" because they played the Giants, also that was the earthquake series. I was only 4 and a half but I can remember watching the effect the earthquake had on the news. So with out further adieu I met Terry Steinbach, catcher for the Oakland Athletics from 1983 (majors at end of 86 season) to 1996 and finished his career with his hometown Minnesoata Twins. He also played for the Gophers in college. Not only does he have an amazing baseball career by his own personal accomplishments but he also caught two no-hitters (Dave Stewart with the A's and Eric Milton with the Twins).
So I found out he was coming on Wednesday but actually realized that it was Terry Steinbach the baseball player on Friday. Went to a wedding and on Sunday night I went through Mom's garage looking for his baseball card, I knew it was in there somewhere.


Well it turns out that his daughter is in our Sports Nutrition class. He gave a lecture on steroids and the MLB. What a perfect person to hear it from, he was on the Oakland A's when Jose came in and started juicing up. Apparently in 85 Jose was about 180 and the next spring training he jumped 40 lbs of muscle in 4 months. Mark McGuire on the other hand loved the gym. Terry said that if you take a baseball card from each year that he played you will see him progressively get bigger, no sudden jumps like Jose. I would just like to say that this was the best college class periods I have had. Not only that but his daughter is also going to Sweden like me, and the two of us are also staying in Iceland for a couple days after that. You may be looking at my future father in law. Just kidding...









2 comments:

  1. Wow Styx - that's freakin awesome. Way to think about the cards - I can't believe mom still has those all hidden away somewhere. I didn't know he played with the Twins after the A's, I just thought he retired with the A's...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you are very lucky...to actually meet this player, then his daughter...going to Sweden and then to Iceland...

    Most of all you are darn lucky those cards were still in the garage and all in the one tote??? Like I said on Sunday I could not believe you knew you had the card...cards..out of all the cards that are here...

    ReplyDelete